Kenneth Koch ~ Wishes, Lies, and Dreams: Teaching Children to Write Poetry


Giraffes, how did they make Carmen?  
Well, you see, Carmen ate the prettiest rose in the world and then just then the great change of heaven occured and she became the prettiest girl in the world and because I love her.

Lions, why does your mane flame like fire of the devil? 
Because I have the speed of the wind and the strength of the earth at my command.

Oh Kiwi, why have you no wings?
Because I have been born with the despair to walk the earth without the power of flight and am damned to do so.

Oh bird of flight, why have you been granted the power to fly?
Because I was meant to sit upon the branch and to be with the wind.

Oh crocodile, why were you granted the power to slaughter your fellow animal?
I do not answer.

Chip Wareing, Fifth Grade, PS 61 
(inspired by Blake's "Tyger")

I was born nowhere
And I live in a tree
I never leave my tree
It is very crowded
I am stacked up right against a bird
But I won't leave my tree
Everything is dark
No light!
I hear the bird sing
I wish I could sing
My eyes, they open
And all around my house
The Sea
Slowly I get down in the water
The cool blue water
Oh and the space
I laugh swim and cry for joy
This is my home
For Ever


Σχόλια